It’s hard to argue with the awesomeness of the twitter phenomena. Their flexible API is a testament to how a great tool can used in so many ways.
The downside is that with such a widely adopted API there are about as many tools as there are tweet.
OK, so these days having your internet cut isn’t as commonplace as it used to be, but it does happen and during those times you realise the beautiful place the internet has in your life. 🙂
Anyways, I can usually get by and continue with some offline coding, but there’s always that little occasion where you forget those commands in MooTools, and wish you could just pop onto the site and check it out.
Late last year, Google made a switch from the old YouTube API and integrated it into it’s GData API. While an understandable move, it does somewhat annoy me that the old REST method is being depreciated in August 2008 because I don’t particularly feel like updating my code 🙂
Alas, it will happen soon, and so I decided to upgrade some pages that used it. As I don’t heavily rely on the video services, and just use it in it’s simplest form for displaying a list of Videos, I made something quick, rather than install the Zend GData Library Google recommends.
Since GData outputs RSS, I used MagpieRSS to painlessly port my old code and have an updated code up and running. Here’s two scripts that may help with your changeover: