Qmail-Scanner is a very versatile tool for linux which allows you to scan any email that passes your system with various brands of virus scanners, including the open source ClamAV. Alongside the more thorough scan and possibility to audit content, I find the archiving feature very useful.
One particularly useful bit of qmail-scanner is that you don’t need to recompile qmail for patching, which can be a mamoth task on PLESK run systems (specifically VPSes in Virtuozzo)
I’ve been setting up a Postfix/Dovecot solution on a linux Fedora 9 machine and ran into this problem.
A little snooping around led to this solution:
Dovecot requires the dovecot-mysql package to run mysql authentication. This problem is simply cured by installing it with yum:
yum install dovecot-mysql
OK, so these days having your internet cut isn’t as commonplace as it used to be, but it does happen and during those times you realise the beautiful place the internet has in your life. 🙂
Anyways, I can usually get by and continue with some offline coding, but there’s always that little occasion where you forget those commands in MooTools, and wish you could just pop onto the site and check it out.
When coding in mootools, a lot of function binding goes on in my case. In fact, pretty much every time I call a class method I want it bound to the class. Jan Kassens comes to the rescue with a simple method which enables your class functions to be bound upon initialization. If you find yourself using .bind(this) a lot, this could make your code much prettier.
Samuel Birch created a great image menu which can be found here at Phatfusion. I was upgrading some bits on a site for the lovely Mootools 1.2 release and as a result I had to make a small change to get imagemenu to work.
Very simple bit of PHP to add to the top of your script if you want to password protect something. I wouldn’t reccommend this for larger bits of software, but if you have a simple script or page that you don’t want people to access, try the following:
Late last year, Google made a switch from the old YouTube API and integrated it into it’s GData API. While an understandable move, it does somewhat annoy me that the old REST method is being depreciated in August 2008 because I don’t particularly feel like updating my code 🙂
Alas, it will happen soon, and so I decided to upgrade some pages that used it. As I don’t heavily rely on the video services, and just use it in it’s simplest form for displaying a list of Videos, I made something quick, rather than install the Zend GData Library Google recommends.
Since GData outputs RSS, I used MagpieRSS to painlessly port my old code and have an updated code up and running. Here’s two scripts that may help with your changeover:
For those pages with loads of text a table of contents would be nice, with anchors located in relevant sections. Thing is that going through a page with thousands of words and headings is no fun at all.
I made a script using the lovely MooTools that gets all the elements with a given CSS selector (using the Elements.Selectors syntax) and then builds an unordered list of links, with the element text as the title, and an anchor placed in that element.